Fall in Love With Lemon-Curd-Laced Cupcakes
3-1/2 cups (17-1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour, sifted
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1-2 lemons)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
3-1/2 sticks (14 ounces) unsalted butter
3 cups (21 ounces) granulated sugar
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
7 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Powdered sugar, for dusting
About 2 cups lemon curd
- Preheat the oven to 325?F and line two cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together the flour, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar, until fluffy
and lightened in color. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber
spatula. Add the cream cheese and beat until completely incorporated.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until no streaks of yolk
remain. Add the lemon juice and vanilla, and mix until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients in three additions, scraping down the sides
of the bowl with a rubber spatula between additions. Mix together until
- Divide the batter among the cupcake molds, filling each mold about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 24-28 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then move to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before filling with lemon curd.
- Insert the base of a large pastry tip into the center of a cupcake
about 1/4-inch deep, and twist until the cake center twists alongside
the tip; pull directly up to remove the center. Repeat with all of the
- Sift powdered sugar over the tops of the cupcakes using a fine mesh strainer.
- Pipe the lemon curd into the cupcakes until it’s flush with the tops of the cupcakes.