Spritz Butter Christmas Cookies
of your cookie platter, b
Makes about 4 dozen
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, soft
1 cup white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Green food coloring (liquid or gel)
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Sprinkles or colored sugar, for decorating
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Beat butter and sugar together with an electric mixer
at medium speed until fluffy and light. Add the egg and vanilla extract and continue to beat until combined.
- Add green food coloring drop by drop, using the
electric mixer to incorporate, until you reach your desired hue; gel
food coloring will take fewer drops than liquid. We usually go with 4
drops gel food coloring to get a nice pale green color (too too green
creeps me out!).
- Add flour and salt to the green glop and mix in well with a wooden spoon.
- Pack the dough into your cookie press, fitted with the disk design for wreathes or trees. Press the dough into your shapes on a cookie sheet, spaced about 1 inch apart. Don’t grease your cookie sheet or use parchment paper—the stickiness will help get your shape out of
your press. Decorate your shapes with sprinkles or colored sugar if
- Bake until slightly golden at the bottom edges, about 7 to 9 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
in CHRISTMAS SPIRIT. Little green wreaths and trees galore.