Cheddar Chipotle Cheese Straws
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed in the refrigerator overnight
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 chipotle pepper in Adobo, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and chipotle together (I use an immersion blender to beat the egg and chop the pepper at the same time- it works really well but isn't necessary if you don't have one).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry. Brush the egg mixture over the surface of the puff pastry. Sprinkle cheese and salt evenly over the pastry. Using a rolling pin, lightly press the cheese into the puff pastry. Slice the pastry into strips, twist each strip up and lay them flat on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned then flip each straw over and bake for an additional 3-5 minutes so that they brown on both sides. Take care not to overcook. Let cool completely and serve at room temperature.