Best Chicken Spinach Lasagna
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 garlic head (9-10 cloves), minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 cups raw fresh spinach
- ? cup oil + 3 tablespoons
- 16 oz / 4 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 15 oz marin
- In a large saucepan over high-medium heat, bring 2 gallons of water to a boil.
- In the meantime, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add ? cup of oil
once the saucepan si hot. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, cook
until onion is tender, stirring occasionally, around 5 minutes. Add the
chopped bell pepper, stir and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and ground chicken. Mix well so the ingredients get combined, and cook for about 5 minutes. Once the chicken is almost cooked add the
spinach and cook until the spinach has shrink in size and is tender,
around 5-6 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat.
- In the meantime, the water must be boiling, add some salt and 2
tablespoons of oil and add the lasagna sheets. Cook based on box
instructions, but usually it takes 7-9 minutes for the sheets to cook.
Transfer lasagna sheets to a colander, give them a bath in cold water
- Start assembling the lasagna. I had to trim the length of the lasagna sheets
to fit my 9inch pan. I used 5 sheets for the bottom layer, 5 for the
middle layer and 6 for the upper layer.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Start by greasing the lasagna pan with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Lay 5 lasagna sheets on the bottom of the pan, top it with half of the
chicken mixture, followed by 5 ounces of marinara sauce, and followed by 1? cups of grated mozzarella cheese. Repeat this for the second layer
of lasagna sheets -> chicken mixture -> marinara sauce ->
cheese. Top with the final layer of 6 lasagna sheets (I also added on
top the pieces from the trimmed sheets), cover with the remaining 5
ounces of marinara sauce and top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- You can place lasagna in the fridge for 24 hours, or you can bake it immediately for 30 — 40 minutes.
- Let lasagna cool down 15-20 minutes before serving, as this will facilitate cutting it.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.