Simple Scrambled Tofu and Kale
Be sure to use a pan that has a cover so that the kale will steam properly.
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 ounces tofu, firm or extra-firm, crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika (mild or spicy)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and discarded and leaves thinly sliced (about 12 ounces)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- additional salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat a deep, non-stick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. When
it’s hot, add the red pepper and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms
begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the tofu and sprinkle it with the paprika, cumin, salt, and
turmeric. Cook, stirring constantly, until the spices are fragrant and
the tofu is hot throughout.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the kale and stir. If the mixture
seems dry, add a tablespoon or two of water. Cover and steam, stirring
every minute or so, until the kale softens, about 4 to 7 minutes,
depending on how tender you like your kale. Stir in the nutritional
yeast, check the seasonings, and add salt and freshly ground black
pepper to taste. Cook for another minute or two until heated through.
Nutrition (per serving):
61 calories from fat, 7g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 631mg sodium,
674.5mg potassium, 21.3g carbohydrates, 4.7g fiber, 3g sugar, 20.6g
protein, 6.1 points.