- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp sugar
A pinch of salt
2 Tbsp melted butter, plus extra for greasing
2 eggs, separated
250 gm smoked salmon
1 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
Few sprigs of dill
1. Warm the milk and place it in a bowl. Add sugar and yeast, and let it sit for 5 minutes.
2. In the meantime, sift together the flours and salt in a mixing bowl.
3. Once you see the milk froth up with air bubbles, add it to the flour
mixture and mix well. You will have a thick batter. Add in the melted
butter, cover the bowl with a cling-film and let it rest at room
temperature for 2-3 hours. You can also keep it in the refrigerator
overnight and let it rest at room temperature in the morning for about 1 hour before cooking it.
4. At this point, the batter should be double in size. Stir it a little.
5. Separate the eggs; beat the yolks and mix it into the above batter.
Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff, then gently fold
into the batter.
6. Heat a non-stick pan, and grease the surface
with a little batter. Take a ladle of the batter and place it at the
centre of the pan, and in circular motion, spread it out to form a mini
pancake of 3-4 inch diameter.
7. Let it cook on one side for 2-3
minutes until golden brown, then flip to the other side and cook for 1
minute before sliding it onto a plate. Repeat the process with the
8. Serve immediately with a dollop of creme fraiche or sour cream, smoked salmon and a dill sprig.